In this tutorial, we will look at how to create a professional email address for your business.
A professional email address is not vastly different from what you get from many of the free email services like GMail [↗].
The main difference is you need to acquire a domain name [↗] and then link it to a mail server which is a process usually simplified by the domain name provider.
In this tutorial, we will use Namecheap [↗] to get both the domain name and mail server setup.
Acquiring a domain name
If you already have a domain name with a different provider from the one mentioned in this tutorial [↗] you might want to check out a help guide from that particular provider to see how you can set up an email address.
If you are yet to purchase a domain name or prefer to use a separate domain name for your email address, keep reading :).
Purchasing a domain name.
- Use the Namecheap search bar [↗] to find a domain name that best suits your brand.
- When you find one, add it to the cart.
- Visit the cart section up top and complete your purchase.
- The purchasing flow will include an account creation process, go ahead and do that.
Creating an email account
- To create your email address, first, make sure you are logged in.
- Once the page loads up, click on the "manage" button, which is to the right of the domain name you just purchased.
- Next, scroll down to the bottom to the "Private Email" section.
- Click on the "BUY NOW" button within that section; this is a paid service that you can get for as low as €1.14 a month. If you prefer not to purchase an email account, don't worry, I talk about a second option in the next section.
In case you want a free option, then you can use the email forwarding option right above the "Private Email" section.
This is labeled "REDIRECT EMAIL". Once you set it up, this allows you to have a professional email, say
email@example.com, which customers send their email to. The emails will be forwarded to the forwarding email address you provide, say to your GMail account.
The main downside to this is you can't reply to emails to your customers using the professional email address you created.
The email forwarding provided by NameCheap provides a couple of options.
- "Add Forwarder": this option maps one professional email to your receiving email, for example, being able to set up
firstname.lastname@example.org forward emails to
- "Add Catch-All": This option allows you to forward any email send to the domain name to say your Gmail Address. So
email@example.com all be forwarded to the same email address. This is good if you want to be able to use different email addresses for different purposes. For example,
Here is another article you might like 😊 "How to download images from a Google document"